Skip to main content

Friday Flicks - Night of the Living Dead: Resurrection & It Happened Tomorrow

This week I got to watch two movies - one was absolutely horrible and the other was awesome!

I'll start off with the horrible one first.  It's called Night of the Living Dead: Resurrection and if possible I would give it zero stars, even though I only watched the last half hour.  Thinking back on it I'm actually surprised I watched a full thirty minutes...

Night of the Living Dead: Resurrection (2012) Poster

It's set in 2012, also the year it was released, and does it's own thing with George A. Romero's classic.  For all intents and purposes, that means that the action takes place in Wales.  Very cheap photography, sound, and makeup effects, along with cheesy dialog and poor acting.  When I say cheap, I mean it looks and sounds like it could have been made with someone's phone.  Now that I think about it, I probably only made it through those thirty minutes because I was so stunned that something so bad could be made.

In the name of sanity, avoid this movie at all costs.  Of course, the only thing it really did for me was make me really want to watch a good zombie show like The Walking Dead. The Season 4 dvd release date is only 4 days away!  I can't wait!

Now, I saved the best movie for last!  It's called It Happened Tomorrow.  It was released in 1944 and stars Dick Powell as the lead, Larry.

It Happened Tomorrow (1944) Poster

❋ ❋ ❋ ❋ 

I just happened to be right yard sale at the right time and picked up this gem!  I had never heard of it before, but the summary on the back of the box caught my eye right away.  An ambitious turn-of-the-(previous)-century newspaper reporter, Larry, would do anything to get the scoop on his competition and learn the news before it happens.  He tells an older, retiring newspaperman this and later the old man slips him a newspaper, but he cautions Larry about using it.  Larry doesn't think anything of it until he looks at it the next day and realizes that it is that day's paper - it couldn't be but it is!  In other words, the old man gave him tomorrow's newspaper today.  It's just what Larry's always wanted, especially to help him get ahead in the cutthroat newspaper field - he'll have everything he needs to know 24 hours in advance.  However, it turns out for Larry that this foreknowledge causes a lot of problems!

I don't know if anyone has ever watched  the tv show called Early Edition starring Kyle Chandler, which is a really fantastic show by the way,  but it actually appears to be based on this movie!  I didn't realize that when I started watching It Happened Tomorrow, but there are so many references I spotted and that made me really happy to notice them!

Early Edition (1996) Poster

Both It Happened Tomorrow (and Early Edition for that matter) come with the highest recommendations from me!  If you like Early Edition,  great tv shows like Quantum LeapJourneyman, or Tru Calling, fantasy/ sci-fi comedies, classic movies starring brilliant actors, you should really give It Happened Tomorrow a chance!  Happy watching!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows