Skip to main content

The Rose Society (The Young Elites #2) by Marie Lu - Review


❋ ❋ ❋  

Adelina Amouteru is bent on revenge after suffering at the hands of her family and friends. Now as the feared White Wolf, she and her sister leave Kenettra to find other Young Elites to build her own loyal army. Her goal is to wipe out the Kenettran Inquisition Axis. Unfortunately for Adelina, whose powers are fed by fear and hate, her powers are spiraling out of control. She doesn't trust her new Elite allies, the leader of the Inquisition wants her dead at any cost, and her old friends, Raffaele and the Daggers, want to end her quest for vengeance. Adelina's no hero, but she struggles to hold on what good she has left although her continued existence depends on the darkness.

Adelina is one of Marie Lu's most fascinating characters and one of the darkest YA characters I've read in awhile. She's not the hero, not by a long shot, and she's not all that likable either. For me, this is usually a deal breaker, but Adelina is a great exception. I couldn't bring myself to look away from her downward spiral. In this book, we also get a few new characters, the most interesting of which are Maeve and Magiano. I don't want to give away their powers and major plot points, Maeve's most of all but I will say this: she really takes it up to eleven.

Overall, if you loved the first installment of this series, you need to continue with it's action-packed sequel. If you are interested in the Renaissance era and the X-Men, you'll want to pick up this unique series told from the perspective of the villain. I cannot wait for the release of the third book in this series.




I read this novel from November 11 - 15, 2015 and my review is also on Goodreads.

Comments

  1. Nice review Laura! I just got The Rose Society from the library but have yet to pick it up! I'm so glad that you liked it so much. I'll be picking this up soon now!

    Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got this book from the library and I'm so excited to read it! I'm so glad to hear you liked it :D Adelina is definitely a different character and I'm really fascinated by her, actually.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I hope you like it, too. She is certainly fascinating!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows