Skip to main content

Sunday Funday: Deadpool - Movie Review


❋ ❋ ❋  

Wade Wilson, a Special Forces operative turned mercenary, discovers he has terminal cancer.  He subjects himself to experimental treatment in order to be cured.  The treatment cures the cancer and also gives him the abilities of accelerated healing and regeneration, but he is left horrifically disfigured.  Instead of becoming a superhero, though, he uses his new abilities and his dark sense of humor to hunt down the man who destroyed his life.


Happy Valentine's Day everyone!  In the spirit of the holiday (and since I actually had some time off), I went to see Deadpool at my local movie theater!  Several friends have already seen this and raved about how great is, and that it lives up to the hype.  Now that I've seen it, I fully agree - it does live up to the hype.  Personally, Deadpool's twisted sense of humor and penchant for breaking the fourth wall really make the movie.  The jokes come fast and furious, and for some of them you have to be paying attention for the payoff.  There are a ton of references, too, and I doubt I caught all of them - but two of my favorites involve the Professor and Fawlty Towers.


The action sequences are highly stylized and top notch.  They are also pretty gory and definitely not for the squeamish.  The opening titles freeze frame is good and I definitely enjoyed seeing how that moment unfolded.  On a similar note, the effects are very good and, obviously, they make the movie come to life.  Aside from Deadpool himself, there are a couple of other characters who really steal the show: Negasonic Teenage Warhead and Blind Al, both of whom have great (yet totally different types of) moments.  Be sure to keep your eyes open for Stan Lee's cameo and be sure to stay for the post-credits scene.  Overall, I had a lot of fun seeing Deadpool and I highly recommend seeing it, especially on the big screen - just be aware that it earns the hard R-rating.



Theater notes:

I wasn't sure what to expect when I walked in, but the auditorium was very nearly full.  Good thing I arrived twenty minutes early so I had plenty of time to get concessions and still find a seat.

The audience was quite mixed in terms of age and gender and quite engaged by the sense of humor.  Everyone was laughing as far as I could tell and it was easy to tell which jokes got the biggest laughs.

Trailers before the movie included those for The Boss, Warcraft, and X-Men: Apocalypse.  As of now, I can say I will definitely be seeing X-Men:  Apocalypse.

Comments

  1. Ayeee I saw this a couple of days ago too and it was so good - I found it absolutely hilarious, and the plot line was surprisingly solid for a MARVEL film (how many ideas do they still have?! It seems like they have some unlimited wealth of originality).

    As you said though, definitely deserving of the R rating, and it wouldn't have been so entertaining without the full use of this - Blind Al was my favourite character my milesssss!

    Really good review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you liked it, too!

      They have a lot of source material to draw from, I guess. :)

      You're right about that - it wouldn't have been nearly as great without making the most of it!

      Delete
  2. Deadpool is my favorite!!! I'm glad you enjoyed the film :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

Top Ten Tuesday: Movie and TV Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don't Get

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Buy Right This Second If Someone Handed Me A Fully Loaded Gift Card