Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting Mindy McGinnis, a fellow Ohioan's newest release, The Female of the Species.  She's quickly becoming a favorite author and I just picked up my copy last weekend.  Even more exciting - I very recently learned that she's going to be at my local bookstore this Saturday!  If I can help it, I will be too!  

Beginning:

This is how I kill someone.

I learn his habits, I know his schedule.  It is not difficult.  His life consists of quick stops to the dollar store for the bare minimum of things required to keep this ragged cycle going, his hat pulled down low over his eyes so as not to be recognized.

But he is.  It's a small town.

56:

Anna told me I would understand about boys one day.

She said that everything would change and I would look at them differently, assess their bodies and their words, the way their eyes moved when they talked to me.  She'd said I'd not only want to answer them but that I'd learn how, knowing which words to use, how to give meaning to a pause.

Then a man took her.


This week I'm also taking part in a brand new linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Character most/ least likely to go cliff-diving.

Most Likely:



Bella Swan in New Moon by Stephenie Meyer - Didn't have to think too hard here seeing as she actually goes cliff-diving in the novel in order to hallucinate Edward's presence.

Least Likely:



John Watson from Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle  - At least according to Mrs. Hudson at first - I just really wanted to use this gif, honestly.

Comments

  1. Oh goodness, yes, Bella, unfortunately, has a habit of cliff-diving. I really hated New Moon in general because of her attitude. Haha I really love the Sherlock gif!!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about New Moon.

      Can't go wrong with Sherlock!

      Delete
  2. Love those excerpts! Sounds like a fun read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! This sounds intense! Just like I like them:)

    My Friday 56 from Gemina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun meeting the author! The book looks tempting...enjoy! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE OTHER WIDOW”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure about the book as a read for me. As for Bella, her non smiling face in every second of each movie drove me nuts! Even getting married, she looked like she was at a funeral. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine...http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsTGTBATG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! I wasn't expecting "And then a man took her." Now I'm definitely curious about this book.
    My Friday post features THE LAST ANNIVERSARY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm curious about the book. I like the bits you chose to excerpt. I am reading Enemy Games by Marcella Burnard from my TBR mountain this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard a lot of good things about this book. Thanks for mentioning it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really thought this was an intense one. I'm anxious to hear what you thought of it when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it in the end - my review will be coming up soon!

      Delete
  10. Sounds right up my alley!! Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to read this book! It sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely adored the opening for this novel. Alex is one of those characters that I could spend days analyzing. Will be on the lookout for your review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early