Skip to main content

The Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): Working With The Devil by Lilith Saintcrow + 50/50 Friday


Welcome to The Friday 56, a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice.

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm also taking part in Book Beginnings, a weekly meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The rules are pretty simple - you share the first sentence or so and your initial thoughts, impressions, or whatever else it inspires.  Don't forget to link up your post's url with Rose City Reader.


This week I'm spotlighting one of my current reads, Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine #1) by Lilith Saintcrow.  I've been meaning to read more of this author since I tried her YA novel Strange Angels under the name Lili St. Crow.  I'm about 40% of the way through, and I bet that if you like The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher or Supernatural, you'd really get a kick out of this!  So far this is an excellent urban-fantasy with a sci-fi twist.


Beginning: 

My working relationship with Lucifer began on a rainy Monday.  I'd just settled down to a long afternoon of watching the holovid soaps and doing a little divination, spreading the cards and runes out on the hank of blue silk I'd laid out, when there was a bashing on my door that shook the walls.

56:

"So what's in the Egg?" I might as well ask him now, I thought, I might not get a chance to later.

"The Prince told you it's none of your concern," Jaf said, staring blankly at the pizza box.  "Is there more?"

"What, three-quarters of a gigantor pie isn't enough for you?" I stared at him.  "Why would breaking the Egg be bad?"

"I've rarely had human food," the demon said, and hunched his shoulders, sinking into the couch.  "Vardimal must not be allowed to break the Egg.  The repercussions would be exceedingly unpleasant."

I blew out a dissatisfied snort.  "Like what?" I asked.  "Hellfire, brimstone, plagues, what?"

"Perhaps.  Or annihilation for your kind," he replied.  "We like humans.  We want them to live - at least most of us do.  Some of us aren't so sure."



This week I'm also taking part in a brand new linkup called 50/50 Friday, which is hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they'll have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - this week the topic is Favorite/ least favorite main character.

Favorite: 



Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling - This shouldn't be a huge surprise!


Least Favorite:



Luce Price from Fallen by Lauren Kate - I could only make it through 2 chapters of this I was so irritated - she came off as far too shallow, self-centered, and a little dumb for my tastes.

Comments

  1. That book sounds interesting. Thanks for mentioning it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Supernatural and Butcher. I watch Supe reruns almost every weekday morning. :-)These sound like they are for me.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with that! :D I bet you'd like it, Sherry!

      Delete
  3. I've read other books by Lilith and enjoyed them. I'll probably check out this series too.

    My Friday 56 from Grudging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out more by her too - thanks for sharing, Laura!

      Delete
  4. Okay, this book sounds SO entertaining and right up my alley--I giggled so hard at that 56 quote, oh my goodness. I think I'll be adding this to my "want to read" list!

    Thank you so much for sharing! Here's my Friday 56, if you're interested in checking it out--no worries or pressure if you're not, though! Either way, happy book-ing to you in the near future...and happy Friday! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you there! :) I hope you get the chance to pick it up, Elizabeth.

      Thanks for sharing and visiting my blog!

      Delete
  5. This one sounds really good. I didn't do a Friday 56 this week because I've been in a bit of a funk. But there is a post over at my blog that kind of explains some of it, in case your insterested. The good news is that I'm getting back on track. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over anyhow, Bill. :) Glad you're coming out of it.

      Delete
  6. I have read Fallen by Lauren Kate and didn't really enjoy it either. Here is my 56 and BB: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/book-beginnings-friday-566221150

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great book for lovers of sci-fi and urban fantasy. Good opening.
    My Friday post features BEYOND THE ASHES.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't tried that author but it sounds like an interesting read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked Fallen when I read it, but it was so many years ago. Your post makes me wonder if I'd feel differently about it now! Considering a re-read....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting to know how you'd feel about it now. :)

      Delete
  10. I have never read or seen The Dresden Files but I have student readers who are fans so I bet this book is good. Thanks for highlighting it here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds interesting.... (Loved Fallen when I read it years ago too.) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choice. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't really get into this author, but I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hermione is such an awesome MC! She was one of the things that really made the HP series for me. I agree with you on Luce as well. I really wanted to love her and the book but it just felt very meh to me. It seems like characters can really make or break a book! Thanks for linking up, Lauren!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the case for me with Hermione, too! :)

      I wanted to like Fallen, but after a couple of chapters I just couldn't do it. Very true about the characters.

      Thanks for visiting, Laura!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Could Read Early