Skip to main content

Footnotes - A Quotation From An Author


Footnotes is a brand new link-up hosted by Emily @ Stranger Worlds & Ashley @ [oddly novel title] and it's especially for quotation obsessees.  Each month they will post a prompt and participants will share a quote that fits the prompt as well as share their thoughts on it in any way they wish.

The 1st prompt (it's an easy one so don't worry): A quotation from an author.


“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” - Sirius Black from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Turns out that it wasn't so easy - there are so many quotes that I love so it was quite difficult to narrow down.  I decided to go with a quote from my all time favorite series, which didn't make it that much easier since J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter is so quotable.  Anyway, I decided to go with the one above which is definitely one of the best, if not more important quotes from the fourth book in the series.  It truly applies to real life and it's a good way to judge a person's character by how they treat others that they perceive to be lesser than themselves and have nothing to offer them.  In the scene in the novel, Hermione is upset by the reason Barty Crouch fired Winky, the House Elf, and Ron is irritated by how she keeps going on about House Elves, but Sirius agrees with Hermione and speaks the line in question.  It's not necessarily a new idea, but still a powerful one to consider in many contexts.

What is your favorite Harry Potter quote?  Thanks as always for visiting my blog and perhaps commenting down below!  Until next time!

Comments

  1. I am currently reading Longbourn about the servants in Pride and Prejudice. I could use your Sirius Black quote to explain how the servants were viewed by the Bennets...almost as if they didn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Longbourn was a good read - you are 100% right though!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren!

    (Excuse my untidy look, I had a nightmare trying to stay online... I'm in now. I might have also posted several times on one of your posts, when I tried via my mobile...) Anyway, enough of that!

    I love this post.

    “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” –The Chamber of Secrets- Dumbledore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sassy! Don't worry about it! :)

      Yes, I love that quote too. Excellent pick!

      Delete
  3. Great pick Lauren! I haven't read Harry Potter, but I do know this quote! I guess it shows how HP is in everyday culture. I had a hard time picking out just one quote too! I had to feature three. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said it was difficult to just narrow it down! :)

      Delete
  4. Oo, that's a good one! So true too. Kinda makes me double think about what my actions have been saying about me. I like it. :) Thanks for joining up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, thank you so much for participating and for sharing such a great quotation! I think my favourite HP quote has gotta be:

    “Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
    “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

    That's from the chapter of Deathly Hallows called King's Cross, the penultimate chapter, I think, and I LOVE it -- it fits in really well with what I wrote about in my own Footnotes post. Is reality real and all that stuff.

    Of course, I also love the classic from the first book: it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live!

    Thank you so much for getting involved, I really appreciate it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making a good new link up! :)

      Good choices! It was difficult to make the choice for this!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag

Top Ten Tuesday: Bingeworthy TV Shows

The French Connection by Robin Miller - Review